9 The Links dates back to 1872 and is steeped in history. It was only the third house to be built on the famous Links and is one of the few properties which remains a residential property.
David Anderson known as “Old Daw” (a feathery golf ball maker, then senior caddie and Keeper of the Green at St Andrews from 1840 – 1856) built the house plus a separate house and shop, the house was occupied by Jamie Anderson the famous golfer son of Daw. (Jamie is one of only four golfers who have won three consecutive Opens).
1883 – 1886
Working Mens Coffee House
The house and shop lay unoccupied during 1883. From 1884 – 1886 the house was used by the “St Andrews Working Mens Coffee House.”
In 1887 the renowned Golf club manufacturer Robert Forgan bought the property and rented the shop to Robert Smart Confectioner.
The Smarts / The Carmichael Family
During 1888 Forgan used the property as a workshop and lived upstairs, Smart still operated a restaurant downstairs. Ownership ultimately transferred to Thomas Forgan and then to Mrs Margaret Forgan.
The house was then purchased by the Carmichael family and remained in the family until the death of their son.
In 2004 it was purchased by an English businessman, who refurbished the house to its current magnificent state, to use during the 2005 Open and later as a corporate hospitality venue.
His fortune deteriorated and the house was taken over by administration and then sold to three Fife and one Canadian businessmen in 2007. The consortium attempted to offer the house as a timeshare, but when this did not materialize, it was placed on the market.
James S. Kinnear
9 The Links was purchased by Canadian businessman James Kinnear in early 2010.